9 months agoMan Utd legend Ferdinand defends Ashley over lack of Newcastle transfer spending

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd legend Ferdinand defends Ashley over lack of Newcastle transfer spendingby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United legend Rio Ferdinand has defended Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley over the club’s lack of signings.The BT Sports pundit – who courted controversy by defending the owner last year – gave his verdict on Rafa Benitez’s frustrations and Ashley’s approach.Speaking on the matter, Ferdinand said: “I understand Rafa’s frustrations because as a manager you want the ability to go out and spend money, but they’re not in that position.“At the same time I understand Mike Ashley. Why is he going to spend more and more money – millions and millions of pounds – when he’s actually looking to sell the club? He’s got them to a point now where they’re back in the Premier League and they’re consolidating to a certain extent.“He’s not going to go spend his own money. You wouldn’t go spend your own money now knowing you were trying to sell something unless you knew you were going to get that back.“It’s not easy to sell a football club. He’s got a price and he’s going to wait to get it. He’s spent money at that football club, he’s just not going to spend it at this time. “All these fans, they do dream, and they dream big and I understand that. What are Newcastle’s aims? They can’t be aiming at being a Man Utd or a Man City. They’ve got to aim to be a Bournemouth. They’ve only just started spending. I’m not saying everything they’re doing is correct. What I’m saying is, I think Mike Ashley, you can’t hammer him and say that he should be spending when he wants to sell the club. You wouldn’t spend on your house when you want to sell it.” last_img read more

9 days agoMan Utd linked with Juventus midfielder Emre Can

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd linked with Juventus midfielder Emre Canby Paul Vegas9 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United are interested in signing Juventus midfielder Emre Can, according to reports.The Germany international has endured a tough season at Juve, with new boss Maurizio Sarri leaving him out of the club’s Champions League squad.Calcio Mercato says United are fans of the 25-year-old and would welcome his arrival at the club.Can, of course, played for United’s bitter rivals Liverpool between 2014 to 2018.He made 166 appearances for the Reds before joining Juve as a free agent. last_img read more

College Spun Media Is Looking To Hire A Full-Time Staff Writer

first_imgCS Square LogoCS Square LogoCSsquarelogo-e1344353072209We are expanding!College Spun, founded in September of 2012, is an independent sports blog that brings you the most interesting college athletics stories of the day. The publication, which reaches over three million unique readers per month, focuses on the social media aspect of the industry.We’re looking for one full-time writer to add to our staff for our Hoboken, New Jersey (next to NYC) office. We’re looking for candidates who are obsessed with both entrepreneurship and college sports. Ideal candidates will also have relevant experience in digital media. As an employee of College Spun, you will help dictate the site’s editorial direction.Qualifications:You must be entrepreneurially-minded and OBSESSED with college sports.You must have experience at an online publication.You must be a great writer who can spot an interesting story and have the personality to tell it in an entertaining way.You must be well-versed in social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc).You must be able to edit and manage other writers; team players only.You must not care about a 9-5, Monday-Friday lifestyle. Games are all on nights and weekends.You must be competitive by nature and self-motivated.You must be willing to relocate to the NYC area.Think you’re the perfect candidate? Then we can’t wait to meet you. If that’s not you but you know someone else who is that person, please introduce us.To apply, please email matt@collegespun.com with your resume and two writing samples.last_img read more

Dzeko snubs Inter move by extending Roma contract

first_imgRoma have announced Edin Dzeko has signed a new three-year contract.Dzeko was reportedly a target for Inter before they sealed a deal for Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku, and was still linked to the Nerazzurri after the Belgian was brought in.But the 33-year-old has now committed his future to the Giallorossi by agreeing new terms on Friday. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? “Over the last few weeks I have realised just how much the club wanted me to stay,” Dzeko told Roma’s official website.”My conversations with the board, the work we’ve been doing with the coach [Paulo Fonseca], the relationship with my team-mates and the love of the fans has all made me realise once again what I had already learned during these four years – that Rome is my home.”Here there is everything we need to win something and I am delighted to be able to stay here even longer.”The former Manchester City and Wolfsburg striker was Serie A’s top goalscorer during the 2016-17 season but only hit nine goals in 33 appearances last term.“Before last season even finished we had reached a decision: Edin would be one of the pillars we would build our new side around,” said Roma chief executive Guido Fienga.“Over the last few months nothing has changed. We are delighted that Edin recognises that if players want to win then Roma is the right place to be.”Earlier on Friday, Roma confirmed they have signed Turkish defender Yildrim Mert Cetin on a permanent transfer.The 22-year-old arrives on a five-year deal from Genclerbirligi for a fee of €3 million and will wear the number 15.”I know the size of the club I am going to be representing,” he told Roma’s website. “I’m very happy to be here, it’s a feeling I can’t really describe in words.”I am confident I will be able to live up to the hopes of the club and the fans.”Roma take on Arezzo on Saturday in their final pre-season friendly before they begin Serie A play next weekend with a home match against Genoa.last_img read more

ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit Predicts 1 Team Will Be “Scary Good”

first_imgkirk herbstreit looking very tan at the nfl draftThe 2018 college football season starts in a little more than 3 months. Opening weekend is set for the first Saturday in September. It’s going to be a good one.What college football teams should the other squads be scared of this fall?Kirk Herbstreit has at least one team in mind.The ESPN college football analyst said on Twitter that he believes the reigning national champions are going to be “scary good.”“Team is gonna be scary good again in ‘18,” Herbstreit tweeted in response to an Alabama fan.@Joey_Galloway @KirkHerbstreit I promise to never again talk bad about Joey and Kirk. They both did an awesome job in Tuscaloosa Saturday. Utmost respect for you guys. RTR— Joe from Red Bay, Al (@joetesseneer) April 23, 2018Thanks Joe. JG and I always love to be around @AlabamaFTBL The coaches and the players. Team is gonna be scary good again in ‘18. https://t.co/Z36UtSfYUi— Kirk Herbstreit (@KirkHerbstreit) April 23, 2018ESPN’s Football Power Index projections aren’t quite as high on Alabama – but they still like them a lot. It has the Crimson Tide going 10.8-1.8 and gives them a 37 percent chance to win the SEC.Nick Saban and Co. are set to open their season on Saturday, Sept. 1 against Louisville. It will be played in primetime. Alabama is a big favorite.last_img read more

Joey Bosa Comments On His Brother’s Decision To Leave Ohio State

first_imgJoey Bosa walking off the field after an Ohio State football game.GLENDALE, AZ – JANUARY 01: Defensive lineman Joey Bosa #97 of the Ohio State Buckeyes reacts as he walks off the field after defeating the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 44-28 in the BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium on January 1, 2016 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)Ohio State star defensive end Nick Bosa’s season ended after three weeks when he suffered a groin injury in a win over TCU. Earlier this month, Bosa announced he was withdrawing from OSU to focus on rehabbing and getting ready for the 2019 NFL Draft.Today, Los Angeles Chargers standout and former Ohio State All-American Joey Bosa commented on his brother’s decision. He offered some insight into how his entire family came to an agreement that this was the best course of action.As you might expect, he is fully supportive of his younger sibling.“It was a huge family decision,” Joey Bosa said. “He talked to me, my Dad did more talking to me than he did about my opinion on this. We all came to agree on the same thing. I find it hard to believe that anyone would give up an amazing opportunity that he has or risk the amazing opportunity that he has.“You have to understand that this is a business and he has to take care of himself, do what’s smart for him. If anyone had the opportunity to hit the lottery tomorrow, would anyone risk that? He has that opportunity.”You can see all of Joey Bosa’s comments below, courtesy of Sam Fortier, who covers the Chargers for The Athletic.Joey Bosa’s thoughts on his brother Nick withdrawing from OSU.”You have to understand that it is a business and he has to take care of himself, do what’s smart for him. If anyone had the opportunity to hit the lottery tomorrow, would anyone risk that? He has that opportunity.” pic.twitter.com/DlKx2Ocwj3— Sam Fortier (@Sam4TR) October 30, 2018Nick Bosa is currently living and rehabbing with his brother in Los Angeles. Joey Bosa is recovering from an injury of his own.Despite his setback this season, the younger Bosa is a projected top-five pick in April’s NFL Draft.last_img read more

Ohio State Reveals The Extent Of Urban Meyer’s Health Problems

first_imgohio state head coach urban meyer on the sidelineCOLLEGE PARK, MD – NOVEMBER 17: Head coach Urban Meyer of the Ohio State Buckeyes reacts after a play against the Maryland Terrapins during the second half at Capital One Field on November 17, 2018 in College Park, Maryland. (Photo by Will Newton/Getty Images)Urban Meyer announced his retirement from Ohio State’s football program on Tuesday morning, citing his health as the No. 1 reason for his departure.The three-time national title-winning head coach has been battling a brain cyst in recent years. The cyst has caused several painful headaches that have, at times, shown up during games.Eleven Warriors caught up with Ohio State’s athletic director, Gene Smith, who revealed the extent of Meyer’s issues. It certainly sounds painful.From the report:On Oct. 12, the Friday before Ohio State’s game against Minnesota, Smith held a six-person meeting that included director of football sports performance Mickey Marotti, director of player development Ryan Stamper, general manager Brian Voltolini, executive associate athletics director Diana Sabau and Meyer.During the meeting, Smith helped to design out a plan that curtailed Meyer’s headaches and minimized their effects during games. After speaking to doctors, Smith realized Meyer needed to keep his headset on as much as possible.“Because it keeps the noise out,” Smith said. “The noise is a stimulant for the headache. So, I had the doctors there. What’s the stimuli that causes headaches? The intensity.”Smith also revealed that he told Meyer he would be forced to take him out of a game if he collapsed on the sideline again.Meyer has said that he doesn’t believe he’ll coach again, but at only 54 years of age, it’s impossible to really know.For now, Meyer will coach Ohio State through the Rose Bowl contest against Washington, and then focus on getting fully healthy.You can read Smith’s full comments on Meyer and his health here.last_img read more

Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa Missing Major Event Due To Injury

first_imgtua tagovailoa runs off the field during national title gameSANTA CLARA, CA – JANUARY 07: Tua Tagovailoa #13 of the Alabama Crimson Tide reacts against the Clemson Tigers in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T at Levi’s Stadium on January 7, 2019 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)While there’s no doubt that Tua Tagovailoa is one of the best quarterbacks in college football, the Alabama star has dealt with a handful of injuries thus far in his career.Last year, the dual-threat quarterback battled a knee injury that plagued him throughout the regular season. It can be argued that Tagovailoa was the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy before his injuries slowed him down.Tagovailoa is on pace to be a first-round pick in next year’s NFL Draft. However, scouts will need to see him remain healthy in his junior season.Unfortunately for Tagovailoa, it turns out that he’s already dealing with an injury. Due to a little pain in his hamstring, he’ll have to miss this year’s Manning Passing Academy. The event, hosted by the famous quarterback family, began on Thursday and runs through this weekend.It sounds more like a precautionary move than a serious injury for Tagovailoa… @AlabamaFTBL quarterback Tua Tagavailoa not at Manning Passing Academy due to slight hamstring injury – nothing serious – just kept out for precautionary measures #wgnosports— Ed Daniels (@WGNOsports) June 28, 2019Obviously Alabama has to have some level of concern over this development. The program’s title hopes rides on the health of its quarterback.Tagovailoa has dealt with injuries to his ankle, knee, hand and hamstring over the course of his career with the Crimson Tide.Nonetheless, it’s encouraging to know that Tagovailoa will stay out of harm’s way and avoid risking further injury at the Manning Passing Academy.last_img read more

Where Tate Martell Stands In Miami’s Starting Quarterback Competition

first_imgMiami quarterback Tate Martell at the spring game.MIAMI, FL – APRIL 13: Tate Martell #18 of the Miami Hurricanes warms up before the annual Spring Game at Nathaniel Traz-Powell Stadium on April 13, 2019 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images)Former top quarterback recruit Tate Martell transferred from Ohio State to Miami this offseason, following Urban Meyer’s decision to retire and Justin Fields’ move from Georgia to to OSU.Martell, a former top recruit coming out of high school, has been made eligible for the 2019 season. Obviously, he transferred tot Miami to start.That’s not a guarantee right now, though, as the Hurricanes are in the middle of a major starting QB competition.Here’s the latest on where Martell stands. Martell, a dual-threat QB, was the first quarterback to take reps at practice this week, indicating that he’s perhaps leading the competition.first day out.. pic.twitter.com/M81jx3KV0R— TATE MARTELL (@TheTateMartell) July 27, 2019Miami’s new head coach, Manny Diaz, opened up about Martell’s battle with fellow quarterbacks N’Kosi Perry and Jarren Williams.Manny Diaz on #Canes QB situation and #OhioState transfer Tate Martell leading the trio N’Kosi Perry and Jarren Williams vying for starting role in drills to start @CanesFootball first Training Camp practice pic.twitter.com/dWgkvCLUcy— Chris Fischer NBC6 (@FischerNBC6) July 27, 2019Miami opens the 2019 college football season sooner than everyone else. The Hurricanes are set to play Florida on Saturday, Aug. 24 at 7 p.m. E.T.last_img read more