– Advertisement – – Advertisement – “With a margin that small, there will be a recount in Georgia,” the secretary of state, Brad Raffensperger, said on Friday at the state Capitol.He added: “The final tally in Georgia at this point has huge implications for the entire country. The stakes are high and emotions are high on all sides. We will not let those debates distract us from our work. We will get it right, and we will defend the integrity of our elections.”Gabriel Sterling, an official with the secretary of state’s office, said that a pool of about 4,200 ballots — most of them absentee ballots — remained to be tallied in four counties: Floyd, Cobb, Cherokee and Gwinnett, where the largest tranche is to be counted and which contains Atlanta suburban communities that have gone from leaning Republican to leaning Democratic in recent years. The state must also deal with ballots from military and overseas voters, which will be counted if they arrived in the mail before the end of business on Friday and were postmarked by Tuesday.Mr. Sterling said that the unofficial tally of the votes could be completed by the end of the weekend.Flipping Georgia, a state last won by a Democrat in 1992, and where Mr. Trump won by more than 200,000 votes four years ago, would represent a significant political shift this year. The state has shown signs of trending blue, and when Mr. Trump defeated Hillary Clinton in the state in 2016, he did so by five percentage points, a far slimmer margin than Republicans had enjoyed in previous presidential elections.- Advertisement – Stacey Abrams, who earlier this year was on the Biden campaign’s short list of potential vice-presidential candidates, was celebrated as Mr. Biden took the lead on Friday, a sign of her remarkable ascent as a power broker since her failed bid for governor of that state in 2018.Celebrities, activists and voters across Georgia credited Ms. Abrams with building a well-funded network of organizations that highlighted voter suppression in the state and inspired an estimated 800,000 residents to register to vote. ATLANTA — The presidential race in Georgia is so close that a recount is inevitable, Georgia’s secretary of state said on Friday.As of Saturday morning, Joseph R. Biden Jr. led President Trump in Georgia by more than 7,000 votes.- Advertisement – Ms. Abrams declined to comment on Friday. But in a tweet, she wrote, “My heart is full” and cited the work of other activists.
Share Jean Léopold Dominique. Photo credit: hpnhaiti.comPORT AU PRINCE, Haiti — Twelve years ago, a voice and advocate for justice was silenced in Haiti. On 3 April 2000, Jean Léopold Dominique, journalist and executive director of Radio Haiti Inter was shot dead in the station’s courtyard. Jean-Claude Louissaint, the station security guard, was also killed in the attack.The murders caused dismay in Haiti, especially because Jean Dominique was a well-respected figure, who for four decades had been speaking out openly in favour of democracy, accountability and social justice in Haiti. His killing was a serious blow to freedom of expression and remains until now shrouded in total impunity. In 12 years, nine investigating judges have worked on the case without shedding full light on the killings. Amnesty International has called once more on the Haitian judicial authorities to take all necessary measures to ensure that the ongoing investigation concludes with the identification of all the material and intellectual authors and that they are all brought to justice.The investigation into the killings of Jean Dominique and Jean-Claude Louissaint has been beset by violence, inactivity, threats against the examining magistrates, delays, and the loss of all the evidence and files during the January 2010 earthquake. On 25 December 2002, Michèle Montas, Jean Dominique’s widow, escaped an attempt on her life. Her bodyguard, Maxime Séïde was killed during the attack. Two important suspects died in controversial circumstances: in June 2000 one suspect died in a hospital bed under police custody after he was wounded during his arrest; in November 2001, the second suspect was lynched by a mob in the town of Petit-Goâve after he was arrested by the police.Several of the magistrates reportedly had to abandon investigations following death threats. Jean Sénat Fleury was among the first judges appointed to investigate the case until he resigned from the case in September 2000 for personal security reasons. His successor, Claudy Gassant was also threatened during his time as investigating judge from September 2000 to January 2002.The results of a first investigation carried out between April 2000 and March 2003 were inconclusive. It failed to identify the person(s) who ordered the silencing of Jean Dominique. On 21 March 2003, Judge Bernard Saint-Vil (the fourth judge to work on the case) issued a ruling in which six persons were named as material authors and accomplices, but it failed to identify the intellectual author(s). At the time of the conclusion of the investigation, the six persons had already been in prison on pre-trial detention for more than two years. Jean Dominique’s relatives appealed Judge St-Vil’s ruling in April 2003. The ruling failed notably to include a number of suspects, including an influential Haitian senator who was the subject of an indictment by investigating judge Claudy Gassant in 2001.The Appeals Court of Port-au-Prince ruled in August 2003 that a commission should complete the investigation by identifying all those involved, and in the same ruling it released three of the accused from pre-trial detention and sent three to trial, including the alleged killer. In February 2005, the only three persons indicted for the murder of Jean Dominique and Jean-Claude Louissaint escaped prison during a riot. In spite of the Appeals Court ruling, the Haitian authorities took 18 months before appointing a new investigating judge.A new investigation into the killings of Jean Dominique and Jean-Claude Louissaint was launched on 3 April 2005 and is still ongoing currently under Judge Yvickel Dabrésil.In spite of the threats, and all the setbacks and political blockages, the case is still open and Jean Dominique’s relatives are determined to continue their fight for justice. For decades, impunity has overshadowed the rule of law and left Haiti’s justice system unable to operate independently from political power and impart justice. Jean Dominique’s case is emblematic in that regard. “Bringing to justice all those responsible for his murder and that of Jean-Claude Louissaint and Maxime Séïde is not only an obligation of the state but also a necessity for building a state grounded in the rule of law,” Amnesty International said.“As Haiti’s justice system is also confronted with grave human rights abuses of the past, the Haitian government must give a clear signal that it will effectively and unreservedly tackle impunity. The government must also commit its efforts to ensure that nothing impedes the full, independent and impartial functioning of the investigating judge and that he is provided with all the necessary means to achieve his task, and that 2012 is the last anniversary of the murder of Jean Dominique without justice,” Amnesty International concluded.Caribbean News Now Sharing is caring! Share Tweet NewsRegional Twelve years of impunity after murders in Haiti by: – April 4, 2012 40 Views 2 comments Share
The winless streak is over for the Nelson Leafs.Patrick Martens scored with six minutes remaining to snap a 3-3-tie and power the Leafs to a 4-3 Kootenay International Junior Hockey League victory over the Osoyoos Coyotes Sunday in the South Okanagan City.The win ended a five-game losing streak for the Heritage City franchise.Nelson held period leads of 2-1 and 3-2 before Kam Crawford scored on the power play midway through the third period to tie the game.However, Martens beat Jordan Gluck for the winning tally late in the third period.Nelson opened the three-game Okanagan road trip with losses in Princeton to the Posse 4-2 and in Kelowna, a 6-3 setback to the Chiefs.Matti Jmaeff, with his second goal in as many games, Brett Norman and Max Mois also scored for the Leafs, which out shot the Coyotes 42-34.Andrew Walton has a bounce-back game to register the win in goal.The Leafs, 13-8-0-1, maintained a slim one-point advantage over the third-place Castlegar Rebels in Murdoch Division standings.Beaver Valley leads the Murdoch by a single point over Nelson.Both Beaver Valley and Castlegar have played three fewer games than the Leafs.elson concludes a six-game set away from the NDCC Arena Thursday in Fernie against the 14-4-0-1 Ghostriders.The Leafs return home Saturday to host the Grand Forks Border Bruins Saturday at 7 p.m. in the NDCC Arena.ICE CHIPS: The Leafs made it two straight over the defending KIJHL champions. Nelson posted a 5-3 win over Osoyoos in early October. . . .Nelson, down to 14 players, was missing captain Tyler Parfeniuk.firstname.lastname@example.org
HEAVILY FAVORED KENTUCKIAN RUNS TO NOTICES IN TAKING GRADE III, $100,000 LAZARO BARRERA STAKES BY 6 ¼ LENGTHS UNDER SMITH; HOLLENDORFER TRAINEE SKIPS SEVEN FURLONGS IN 1:20.97
TIZNOW COLT LIKELY TO BE POINTED TO GRADE III AFFIRMED AT 1 1/16 MILES ON JUNE 7PICK SIX CARRYOVER OF $129,769 INTO THURSDAY, TOTAL ‘SIX’ POOL COULD REACH $1 MILLIONARCADIA, Calif. (May 10, 2015)–Heavily favored Kentuckian ran to his notices in taking Sunday’s Grade III, $100,000 Lazaro Barrera Stakes by 6 ¼ lengths under Mike Smith while covering seven furlongs in 1:20.97. Conditioned by Jerry Hollendorfer, the 3-year-old colt by Tiznow made amends for a disappointing third place run in the six furlong San Pedro Stakes on April 12, when he encountered traffic trouble at odds of 3-5.“He drew real well in this race and we were hoping to have a clear run at the speed today, which there was a lot of,” said Hollendorfer. “It’s nice to have an owner like Rick (Porter, of Fox Hill Farms, Inc.), who lets you do the things you need to do…In order to do well, you have to have a horse that can run and you have to have owners that let you do your thing.”When asked what might be next for his budding star, Hollendorfer said “If we do decide to go two turns, we’re looking at the mile and a sixteenth race here on June 7 (Grade III, $100,000 Affirmed Stakes).”An 11 length first-out maiden winner at Golden Gate Fields on March 7, Kentuckian was off at even money today in a field of six sophomores and paid $4.00, $2.80 and $2.40. In picking up $60,000 for his second win from three starts, Kentuckian hiked his earnings to $85,080.“He reminds me of Holy Bull,” said Smith, who overwhelmed pacesetter Yiannis a quarter mile out. “He has an unbelievably high cruising speed and stride. I knew we were going quick, but after a quarter mile, he just took a deep breath and got into a fluid stride. I thought ‘There you are, now we’re okay.’ In the beginning, he was scrambling and was kind of tight and when they do that, they don’t always breathe right…The last furlong I pulled my stick up just because I heard Trevor (Denman) saying someone was coming but, when I looked on the big screen, I put it back down.”Forest Blue, possibly named for the late San Francisco 49ers All Pro center, was next to last going into the far turn under Martin Pedroza and finished second, 2 ¼ lengths clear of The Gomper. Off at 13-1 in just his second career start, Forest Blue paid $7.80 and $3.60.The Gomper, who was ridden by Rafael Bejarano and is also trained by Hollendorfer, rallied from last to run third, one length in front of Yiannis. The Gomper was off at 3-1 and paid $2.80 to show.Fractions on the race were 21.84, 43.64 and 1:08.21.Racing resumes at Santa Anita on Thursday, with first post time at 1 p.m. Admission gates will open at 11 a.m.
SPEEDY LIEUTENANT COLONEL, LATE RUNNING BIG JOHN B LOOM LARGE IN SUNDAY’S GRADE III, $100,000 TOKYO CITY CUP AT 1 ½ MILES
LIEUTENANT COLONEL: A gate to wire winner of his last two starts; allowance races at 1 1/16 miles on Feb. 15 and 1 1/8 miles on March 6, this 4-year-old gelding has come to hand for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer, who has saddled him in his last three outs. Well beaten in both the Grade III Gotham Stakes and the Grade I Wood Memorial when trained by Chad Brown a year ago, Lieutenant Colonel faces his first stakes assignment for Hollendorfer. With Rafael Bejarano opting to ride Big John B, he’ll be ridden by Mike Smith, who was aboard for his first southern California start, as he tries to stretch his speed to the unknown depths of a mile and one half. Owned by Harvey Clarke and Paul Braverman, Lieutenant Colonel has three wins from six overall starts and has earnings of $116,650.BIG JOHN B: The class of the field, “Big John” has 13 wins from 34 starts on grass, but has only run three times on dirt, with his lone win coming at a mile and one half, in Del Mar’s Grade III Cougar II Handicap seven starts back on July 24. A dedicated deep closer, Big John B, a 7-year-old gelding by Hard Spun, never threatened when seventh as the 2-1 favorite here in the Grade II, 1 ½ miles turf San Luis Rey Stakes on March 13. Trained by Phil D’Amato and owned by Michael House, Big John B is 39-14-6-5 overall with earnings of $789,770.THE GRADE III TOKYO CITY CUP IN POST POSITION ORDER WITH JOCKEYS & WEIGHTSRace 8 (of 10) Approximate post time, 4:05 p.m. PDTBig John B–Rafael Bejarano–122Class Leader–Victor Espinoza–120Ike Walker–Edwin Maldonado–120John’s Success–Tyler Baze–120China Girl Lover–Drayden Van Dyke–120Blingo–Alex Solis–120Lieutenant Colonel–Mike Smith–120First post time for a 10-race program on Sunday is at 12:30 p.m. Admission gates open at 10:30 a.m. ARCADIA, Calif. (April 1, 2016)–Front running Lieutenant Colonel and late running Big John B head a field of seven older horses in Sunday’s Grade III, $100,000 Tokyo City Cup at Santa Anita, which will be contested at the marathon distance of 1 ½ miles on the main track.