By @Eden_RichardsAustralia is off to the perfect start in their 2017 Trans Tasman Series preparations, downing Japan in both the Men’s and Women’s Open division in their two warm-up matches on Wednesday night at Sunshine Coast Stadium.A 17-0 win to the Women’s team gave the Australians the perfect start to the night before the Men’s side continued with the momentum to record a 7-3 victory.The Japanese have to be commended for their efforts, travelling across the world to take on some of the best touch footballers in the world.It’s not just about the scoreline for Japan as they continue to enhance their development on the international stage, taking on the two best touch football nations in the world, with matches against New Zealand and Australia to follow on Thursday.The Women’s Open team kicked off proceedings on Wednesday evening, with a dominant first-half performance giving Australia an 8-0 lead at the break.The Aussies went on with it in the second stanza, scoring nine more touchdowns to run away with a comprehensive victory. A three-touchdown performance from Marikki Watego and a four-touchdown performance from Jessica McCall headlined the Australian’s win, with Watego scoring all three of her touchdowns in the second half to ice the huge win.As good as Australia’s attack was, their defence was also extraordinary, keeping Japan to nil with a well-organised and well-executed defensive game plan.It was a much tighter affair in the Men’s Open division; with the Aussie men having to work for their four-touchdown win against a spirited Japanese side.An open first half resulted in a 5-3 lead to Australia at half-time, but things began to tighten up in the second 20 as Japan worked on their defensive efforts.Just two touchdowns were scored in the second half, both by Australia, helping the Aussies go 2-0 up on Japan in the International Series with a close 7-3 victory.Australian’s Samuel Brisby and Matt Prowse both scored two touchdowns apiece in that clash, while Japan’s Masaru Kawaguchi, Junki Hamada and Takuma Nakamichi were the only touchdown scorers for their side. Japan can take a lot of confidence from the result after pushing the 2015 World Cup champions all the way.They will look to build on the result when they take on the New Zealand Men’s Open side at 3:10pm on Thursday.Before that, the Japanese Women’s Open team will open the day’s play against the New Zealand Women’s Open team at 2:00pm.Both Japanese sides will be looking to improve after the first day of competition and if they do then an upset win may be on the cards. Women’s OpenAustralia 17 (McCall 4, Watego 3, Crowe 2, Campbell 2, Maddick 2, Kearney, Davis, Hennessey, Upton touchdowns) defeated Japan 0.Men’s OpenAustralia 7 (Brisby 2, Prowse 2, Buckley, Francis, Palau touchdowns) defeated Japan 3 (Kawaguchi, Hamada, Nakamichi). Related LinksInternational Series Day One
UPDATE: We have reached out to Peace River Regional District Board Chair Brad Sperling for comment on Cvik’s release, but our phone calls have not yet been returned.DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – The Peace River Regional District Board has released Chief Administration Officer Chris Cvik.In a one-line statement posted on their website on Friday, the PRRD said they released their CAO without caused on May 18, 2018. Cvik was hired by the District in 2014 to replace Fred Banham who retired that same year.In a press release in 2014, the District said Cvik brought 20 plus years of progressive experience in both the private sector and senior levels of Local Government.
Kolkata: After remaining gheraoed for more than 25 hours, Jadavpur University vice-chancellor Suranjan Das and senior administrative officials of the university left the campus late on Tuesday night.The students were agitating, demanding immediate closure of the Centre for Disability Studies in the varsity, alleging misappropriation of funds on the part of those involved in running the Centre since Monday evening. They had earlier placed this demand at the Executive Council (EC) meeting. “The way they have pressed for their demand is undemocratic. I have nothing more to say. I am very tired,” Das said. The university authorities have faced a similar situation five times in the last few months. On February 19, when the students agitated demanding students’ union election, Das was allegedly heckled by a section of students and was hospitalised. He had just joined the university then. Pro vice-chancellor Pradip Ghosh, who also left the campus late on Tuesday night after being gheroaed, said that the authorities have formed a multi-member committee to review activities of all 40 centres under the varsity and also the various schools in it. But the students were bent upon immediate closure of the centre and encroached in front of Aurobindo Bhavan, the administrative building of the varsity. Manojit Mandal, coordinator of the centre and an EC member, said that the project over which a section of students are agitating is translation of an authentic biography of Rabindranath Tagore from Bengali to English. “It has been approved by the university and classes have begun with four students just a week ago. Not an iota of Rs 25 lakh that has been allocated for the project by the state government, has been spent. So how can they allege misappropriation?” Mandal questioned. Meanwhile, the agitating students said that they have lifted their gherao but will continue to press for their demand.
Amritsar/ New Delhi: India on Saturday remembered the Jallianwala Bagh massacre victims with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and Congress chief Rahul Gandhi paying tribute to those killed in the Amritsar tragedy 100 years ago. The massacre took place at Jallianwala Bagh, Amritsar, during the Baisakhi festival on April 13, 1919, when troops of the British Indian Army under the command of Colonel Reginald Dyer opened fire at a crowd of people holding a pro-independence demonstration, leaving several dead and injured. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details”History is not a mere chronicle of events. It shows us the depths to which depraved minds can plunge and cautions us to learn from the past. It also tells us that the power of evil is transient,” said Naidu. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the memory of those killed in the Jallianwala Bagh massacre serves as an inspiration to work for an India they would be proud of. “Today, when we observe 100 years of the horrific Jallianwala Bagh massacre, India pays tributes to all those martyred … Their valour and sacrifice will never be forgotten. Their memory inspires us to work even harder to build an India they would be proud of,” he tweeted. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from ThursdayCongress president Rahul Gandhi paid floral tributes at the Jallianwala Bagh Memorial and said the cost of freedom must never be forgotten. He was accompanied by Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh, state minister Navjot Singh Sidhu and some other Congress leaders. They also observed a two-minute silence to remember those who were massacred in the tragic incident on April 13, 1919. “The cost of freedom must never ever be forgotten. We salute the people of India who gave everything they had for it,” the Congress chief wrote in the visitors’ book. British High Commissioner to India Dominic Asquith also visited the Jallianwala Bagh Memorial separately and laid a wreath there. In the visitors’ book, Asquith wrote, “The events of Jallianwala Bagh 100 years ago today reflect a shameful act in British Indian history. We deeply regret what happened and the suffering caused.” He also wrote, “I am pleased today that the UK and India have and remain committed to developing further a thriving 21st century partnership.” In his brief interaction with reporters later, Asquith noted British Prime Minister Theresa May on Wednesday described the Jallianwala Bagh massacre as a “shameful scar” on British Indian history. May, however, had stopped short of offering a formal apology. Asked why an apology was not tendered by the British government, Asquith said, “I know this is a really important question. I would just ask you to respect what I came here to do, which is to commemorate those who died a hundred years ago and to express the sorrow of the British government and of the British people.”
Tourist man gone missing on dive, body found Saturday Police update on Friday 13 snorkel death in Provo Related Items:accident, KEVIN CLARKE, Richel Baptiste, traffic Another snorkel trip deadly in Provo; Guest dies Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 02 Mar 2016 – Police today revealed that the man who was driving that car which careened over the median on Saturday evening near Automotive Arts and caused the death of 32 year old Richel Baptiste of Haiti will have to face charges for the alleged gross negligence while driving. Press liaison officer, Kevin Clarke says the charge for the 37 year old man of Blue Hills is causing death by dangerous driving. The suspect was arrested since Sunday for what is the first traffic fatality of the year for the TCI. Recommended for you
“I think the most important thing this weekend was to just put finishing touches on both squads, and we saw some really cool things,” said Arthur Albiero, UofL head coach. “I think this speaks volumes for the level of preparation that we’ve done the people that were really focusing on this meet put up incredible performances, lifetime bests all-around. I think this is a great confidence boost for the rest of the team, the people that are not swimming through to get ready for ACCs to know that ‘this is my teammate right here and we train together’ and I think we’re on the right track. We’re excited, we’re going to do what we do best going into ACCs. We’re going to go and we’re going to fight, battle and going to compete hard until it’s over and enjoy every minute of it.” Uof L First Chance Results The University of Louisville men’s and women’s swimming and diving team finished the second day of finals at the Louisville Invitational with NCAA B-cuts and meet records. In the men’s 200 free, Kyle Worrell won with a time of 1:37.29. Santiago Aguilera was second in 1:38.77 and Derek Sander was third in 1:39.64. Tanner Cummings got an NCAA B-cut with a time of 19.93 in the 50 free. In the first event, Chase Sellers cut nearly four seconds from his prelim time in the 400 IM with a time of 3:54.32 in the finals. In the 100 butterfly, Kelly Tichenor put up a 54.50 for the win. Story Links Photo Gallery Jack Wever just outtouched Chase Sellers in the 100 backstroke, going 48.51 to Sellers’ 48.52. In the women’s 200 free, Annette Schultz put up the winning time of 1:47.63, Katie Schorr was second in 1:50.44 and Emily Moser was third in 1:55.65. In the 50 freestyle, Annette Schultz went 23.35 to set the meet record followed by Katie Schorr who was second and also under the record in 23.43. Gracie Long was third in 23.55. The women’s team leaves for the ACC Championships which begin on Wednesday in Greensboro, N.C. Print Friendly Version Sofie Underdahl put up a time of 1:56.72 in the 200 backstroke for an NCAA B-Cut. Michael Hampel won the 200 breaststroke in 1:59.23 Mihalis Deliyiannis turned in the winning time of 19.62 in the finals of the 50 free. Tanner Cummings touched second in 20.05 (also under the meet record), Kyle Worrell was third in 20.61, Santiago Aguilera was 4th in 20.74 and Derek Sander was fifth in 21.18.